Friday, July 9, 2010

His & Hers Personalized Baby Quilts




I'm a mom of twins, a boy and a girl.  A friend of mine just had twins herself and I decided it might be fun to find a way to use the same fabric line to make a boy and a girl version quilt.  I got the idea for this quilt from a pillow I made for Moda Bake Shop last year. You can see it here, it would be fun to make one to match the quilt using your scraps.

Stop by my blog and say hi!! Or visit my etsy shop may & mae for more sewing patterns!


1 Layer Cake: (you can use 1 layer cake for both quilts) I used Tweet Tweet by Keiki
1 yard white fabric per quilt for the center
1 yard fabric per quilt for backing
1/2 yard fabric per quilt for binding
Batting
Heat N Bond Lite


Buttons, colored thread to embellish applique
Smiley Monster Font (can be downloaded free)



First you will want to sort and pick your fabrics. Take your layer cake and divide it into a "boy" and a "girl" pile.


Next you want to decide which layer cake squares you want to use for the block border.  You will also want to set aside the layer cake squares you want to use for the applique names & shapes. If you want to have the tree applique (like on the boy quilt) you may need more than one layer cake piece to get enough  trees to cut out.

Cut the layer cake squares you want to use for the border in half so that they are 5" x 10". You will need a total of (14)  5" x 10" blocks for each quilt. I used some fabrics twice, but you will have plenty of layer cake pieces if you do not want to repeat any fabrics.

Sew (4) 5" x 10" pieces together along the short sides. Press & set aside. Repeat.

Sew (3) 5" x 10" pieces together along the short sides. Press & set aside. Repeat.

Cut your white fabric to 29 3/4" x 29 1/2"


Sew one of the 3 block strips to the 29 1/2" side of the white fabric. Repeat by sewing the other 3 block strip to the other side.

Press.

Sew the 4 block strips to the other 2 sides of the white block. Press. Trim off excess if necessary.

Quilt as desired. I quilted mine with a walking foot in straight lines approximately 2" apart.

Using a word processing program and the font Smiley Monster, print your name approx 4" tall. You may need to make it slightly smaller if you are printing a large name.

Trace the letters backwards onto the slick side of a piece of Heat n Bond Lite. Cut out roughly and iron onto wrong side of fabric. Cut out. You can see photos of my applique method here.

Apply to lower right hand corner of the quilted top approx. 2" from the bottom border.
I used the bird in the fabric as a guide for my bird appliqué.  I just scanned the fabric and printed the bird  enlarged so that it is about 4" tall.  I then pieced it using scraps from my layer cake.


Stitch around the letters and pieces of the bird.  Using brown thread in your machine stitch in legs for the bird.  Sew a button for its eye.

For the boys quilt, I cut out 5 trees from the layer cake pieces. I applied Heat n Bond Lite to the back and ironed them onto the quilt top. I then stitched around the edges, using brown thread for the tree trunks.

After you have finished the applique, bind the quilt as desired.

Finished size is approx: 30"x30"






Two or three personalized baby quilts from one layer cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment