Thursday, March 11, 2010

Family Values Canvas

From: Brown Paper Packages




I just LOVED THIS family rules canvas over at the pleated poppy as soon as I saw it, and couldn't wait to make one of my own.
I did make a few changes. I decided on a 24x36 canvas. This way, I could fit two 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of paper (landscape view) next to each other, and then have a one inch border on either side. I knew I wouldn't be able to freehand the fonts, nor was I confident in my printer abilities to be able to print out a continuing sentence on different sheets of 12x12 paper. It was perfect for our family values, which would only have one word printed on each piece of paper.

ITEMS YOU NEED:
  • art canvas (get this on sale, or use a coupon!)
  • scrapbook paper...lots of it! I chose 8 different papers--7 of them for the values (used each one twice) and one for the title. I used 12x12 paper, I just cut it down to 8 1/2 x 11 to fit in my printer.
  • spray paint
  • Mod Podge and foam brush
  • printer and lots of cute fonts



DIRECTIONS:

1. I decided which fonts I wanted to for each word, then typed and formatted them in Word. I used the landscape view, and printed two words on each paper. (Once I cut it in half, I would have 2 words, each 4.25 x 11 inches. I chose this size because my canvas was 36 inches tall, and it would fit 8 pieces that size with a one inch border perfectly.)
2. Once the words were printed on my paper, I cut them to size (in half) and inked all the edges.
3. I had already spray painted my canvas black, so I spread out my words and figured out where I wanted each of them to go.
4. I secured them in place with a little double stick tape, because doing it is way required several edges to meet up, and I needed it to stay in place until I could Mod Podge it.
5. After they were taped on, I Mod Podged each word on individually, making sure to keep all my edges and borders even. Another layer of Mod Podge went on top, and I was done!



I LOVE how it turned out. It's the perfect touch in our kitchen/dining room, where we can all see it often each day.

P.S. Check out THIS store...it's brand new! To celebrate their grand opening, they are donating 15% of all proceeds from this week to Autism Speaks.

***AFTER 1 DAY***

I was too impatient last night to wait to take pics (imagine that, lol), and the Mod Podge wasn't quite dry so some of the papers were still a little bubbly. This morning, after it had a chance to dry overnight, almost all the bubbles were gone! Plus, the light is a lot better. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment