Monday, March 15, 2010

Wood Alphabet Squares

From: How Does She

IMG_5668

ABC’s with Vinyl

Yea!!! I’m excited how this project turned out!!!.  I needed something for my little guy’s room.  I’ve seen the canvas with the ABC’s and thought they were really cute, but I can’t paint…so Vinyl to the rescue!!!
So here we go with the tutorial:IMG_5665
1. For the top piece cut a 1×6 into a square (it will be about 5.5×5.5).  You can use pine or mdf.  It doesn’t matter:)  You can get both at the hardware store.
2.  For the bottom piece cut a 1/4 inch mdf into 7×7’s.  If you don’t have a table saw just use 1×8 pine or mdf and cut it with your{{or your neighbors}} chop saw.  Make sure they are  square.
3.  Paint the bottom piece dark brown{{or whatever color}}
4.  Mod Podge the top piece (10 steps for perfect mod podging)
5.  Sand
6.  Stain
IMG_5659
7.  Attach the top to the bottom.  You can use wood glue and it will work the same.  I’m a little impatient and wanted it done fast so I pulled out the nail gun!
IMG_56608.  I had my husband router the key hole in the back. {{I was tired and he was willing to help…yeppee!!}}  If you don’t have a router just use picture hooks.
IMG_5656
9.  Apply your vinyl.  I used different fonts and even put some cute pictures mixed in.  This is were your own cutter comes in handy!!!  If you have a Cricut or other cutter and need strips of vinyl HowDoesShe recommendsexpressionvinyl.com. If you don’t want to mess with cutting your own vinyl MyTalkingWalls is who HowDoesShe recommends!  They are both great to work with and have amazing prices.  Also if you need more info on vinyl click here for vinyl 101.
IMG_5649
10.  Hang on the wall.  Yep we put 26 holes in the walls, but it was sure worth it!
IMG_566911.  And yes my husband helped me hang them because I don’t always hang things straight:){{or as he would say ‘never’ hang things straight}  We need a tutorial on hanging pictures…Missy get on that!!
Need more ideas on a boy’s room?  Check out Shelley’s post on ‘Toddler Boy Room on a Budget’

No comments:

Post a Comment