Thursday, February 25, 2010

DIY Magnet Board

I've been working on another craft project... :)
The inspiration for this project came from the Ballard Designs catalog. Ballard Designs has awesome home decor but at a pretty hefty price tag. This board sells for around $40 in the BD catalog. I was able to make one for under $8! I found the tutorial for this project on a craft blog, but I forgot to bookmark the page and can no longer find the blog. :(
Here are my instructions if you want to make your own!
Here's what you need:
Sheet metal -- I used a 12" x 17" piece pre cut from Lowes (cost -- around $5.00)
Fabric -- I used an upholstery type fabric (cost -- around $2.50 a yard)
Ribbon (cost -- around $.30)
Drill
Hot glue gun
Instructions:
Drill two holes in the top of the sheet metal. You will use these holes for the ribbon. Attach the fabric tightly to the backside of the sheet metal using a hot glue gun. Using scissors, poke through the fabric where the holes are at the top of the sheet metal. Thread the two ends of the ribbon from the back of the board to the front of the board. Leave enough of a ribbon loop to hang the board, then tie the ribbon in a knot or bow. Snip the ends of the ribbon and hang! :) I didn't end up hanging my board, so I just made a bow.
Now I just need some super cute magnets... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment